A Tribute to Bill Smith
Bill Smith, the visionary behind the Old Mill District and Hayden Homes Amphitheater, passed away on Nov. 18.
He was 81 years old.
“Billy was a wonderful man,” said his daughter, Marney Smith . “He loved his cat and his people. He is known to many as the guy who developed the Old Mill District and perhaps that will be his legacy, but to us he was a beloved father and a wonderful husband. Building places, friendships, and communities was the pride of his life.”
He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Trish; daughter Marney; son Matt; and five grandchildren.
A celebration of life for Bill will be held at the Hayden Homes Amphitheater on May 23. Bill and Trish have long supported higher education. Those wishing to donate in his memory are encouraged to look at the Central Oregon Community College Foundation, which since 1955 has provided scholarships for students to attend COCC.
Bill’s obituary can be found here: Bill Smith, A Remarkable Life Building Community
A collection of tributes and articles written about Bill:
- Bend’s Old Mill District architect, Bill Smith, dies at 81 (The Oregonian)
- Bill Smith’s devoted life’s work to Bend and Central Oregon (Bend Magazine)
- The melding of man and place: In memoriam of Bill Smith (Oregon Roundup)
- And ‘verk’ he did! A tribute to Bill Smith (The Source)
- A remembrance of Bill Smith (The Bulletin)
- Interview with Brian Ladd on development in Bend (Ladd Group – video)
- Developing Bend, Oregon’s Old Mill District (C-Span – video)
SIGN UP FOR EMAILS
Subscribe to get the latest on Bend shops, restaurants, and things to do.