From Boxwood Kitchen’s Eric Rud and Lance Blanchard
Perfect for those crisp bluebird days that have come to define Bend’s cooler months, Boxwood’s butternut squash soup is just another reason we long for the fall and winter seasons here in Central Oregon. This recipe is gluten- and dairy-free and serves four to six adults.
Be on the lookout for Boxwood Kitchen’s grand opening in the Old Mill District this winter!
Ingredients for Soup:
- 1 large Butternut Squash (about 9 cups), peeled & cut into large diced pieces
- 2 ribs of celery, cleaned & rough chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled & rough chopped
- 8 cloves fresh garlic
- ½ cup white wine for deglazing the pot
- 1 ½ Tsp. of curry powder
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- extra virgin olive oil (1-2 Tbsp. for sautéing, ½ cup for seasoning soup, and extra for garnish)
- salt & pepper to taste
Prepare pepita seeds & apple relish (see below).
Heat 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat and sauté the onions, celery, garlic and squash. Cook 5-8 minutes or until lightly caramelized. Deglaze pot with white wine. Add the curry powder, stir to mix. Add almond milk and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer. Let cook until squash is tender (about 15 minutes).
Using a blender or food processor, puree soup mixture in small batches if needed. Drizzle in the ½ cup of olive oil and blend well. Thin soup with extra almond milk and stock if needed.
Pour pureed soup back into pot and bring back to temperature. Season with salt, pepper and extra curry powder to taste. Ladle soup into individual bowls. Garnish with a drizzle of oil, spoonful of pepita seed and apple relish
Ingredients for Pepita (pumpkin) Seeds:
- 1 cup raw pepita seeds
- 6 Tbsp. organic sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
Mix all ingredients together in bowl, the spread onto parchment paper lined sheet pan. Bake at 350F until pepitas are puffed. Let cool, then break up for garnish.
Ingredients for Apple Relish:
- 1-2 large apples, peeled & cut into small diced pieces
- 4 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
Mix all ingredients together, set aside for garnish.
Enjoy with friends!
Leave A Comment