The Old Mill District will host Art in the High Desert for the 10th year in a row this week. Highlighting the district’s commitment to nurturing the arts in the community, this annual event is surrounded by several other art-related initiatives, including plein air art events, permanent art installations and gallery exhibits.
– Art in the High Desert, August 24-26: This weekend-long event is Central Oregon’s premier juried fine art and craft show, featuring more than 115 nationally acclaimed, hand-picked, visual artists from across the country and Canada. Ranked 10th in the Nation by Art Fair Sourcebook, this annual event has been presenting art lovers and collectors with impeccable fine arts and crafts for ten years.
– Artists in Action, August 23, September 13 and 27, 10 a.m. – noon: A collaboration of artists from the Old Mill District, Tumalo Art Co., Lubbesmeyer Studio & Gallery and Nature Inspired Photography & Furniture created this series of events during which the public can enjoy watching and engaging with the artists as they produce different works plein air as well as in their studios or in a gallery. The three-month series will culminate with a show on First Friday, October 5, exhibiting the art created during the event. See the full schedule at www.tumaloartco.com.
– First Friday Art Walk, September 7: Tumalo Art Company welcomes an exhibition from a new artist or group of artists each month, featuring them during First Friday. In September, the gallery will be displaying “Autumn Light”, a group show celebrating the season. The Lubbesmeyer Studio & Gallery will also feature select works from 5-8 p.m.
New and Upcoming Installations:
– Visit Bend’s popular Tin Pan Alley art collection recently expanded to the Old Mill District with four initial pieces on display from local artists. The program, which started in Bend’s Tin Pan Alley, has grown to more than 28 pieces. The new Old Mill District additions are located by Gymboree, in the plaza between Victoria’s Secret and Strictly Organic, on the wall of Banana Republic, and on the Gap facing Center Plaza.
– Several new outdoor murals are in the works for various locations throughout the Old Mill District. An installation this fall will feature beloved local Sisters artist Dennis McGregor. Look for more details soon.